June 15, 2017

In Conversation with Leni Varkey...

Hi Leni
Congratulations for your book ‘Kuttan’s Dilemma’! It is a pleasure to have a conversation (though not face-to-face) with you about your literary journey. Just like an intriguing title, your literary journey also sounds very interesting. This short session will give my readers a sneak peek into the making of this book.

1.   How did you get to be where you are in your life today?
I started writing poems when I was eight years old. This was inspired after coming across a book full of poems written by my late grandfather. I never published any of my works before. Writing has always been a part of my life and my diary has always been my best friend. This story has a lot of elements from my childhood like the guava tree and Achayan but the story is completely fictional. I felt there was a need in the market to convey the core message in the book which is to approach your parents no matter what your problem is.

2.   How do you feel about alternative vs. conventional publishing?
I feel conventional publishing will have more exposure as India is a country still in its infancy when it comes to the digital world.

3.   What process did you go through to get your book published?
It was very simple. I sent the manuscript to the then editor. Then we decided on an illustrator and my ideas were conveyed which he was able to translate in his drawings. After a few editings here and there, the process was over.


4.   How do you find or make time to write?
Early morning or late night.

5.   What do you like to read during your free time?
Dan Brown books.


6.   What was the hardest part of writing this book?
Evoking the emotions of a child.


7.   How was your experience working with Leadstart Publishers?
It was wonderful. It was my first attempt at publishing so they guided me every step of the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment