June 13, 2017

In Conversation with Savita Nair...

Hi Savita

Congratulations for your book ‘Tell me your real story’! It is a pleasure to have a conversation (though not face-to-face) with you about your literary journey. Just like an intriguing title, your literary journey also sounds very interesting. This short session will give my readers a sneak peek into the making of this book.

1.   How long have you been writing?
Well, to tell you the truth, I’ve been writing since childhood…when I was 10 years or so, I would write poems about pets and my holidays and people I met. I never really stopped writing, though it was only in the last five-six years that I started writing in a more disciplined manner. As in, devoting time every week to some amount of writing.

2.   If given a chance to write a biography, whose biography would you like to write?
The Late Actress Mae West or Poet Dorothy Parker. I admire firebrand women, women who can tell it as it is, these two ladies are my favourites. Dorothy Parker is my writing inspiration and she embodies a lot of what I want to say. So yes, I would have loved to write their biography. In today’s time, I truly admire J.K. Rowling, I’d love to write her biography.


3.   Are the poems in your book inspired by true incidents?
Yes, a lot of what I observe in real life goes into my poems. All the emotions aren’t mine, a lot of them are borrowed, but they’re all real for sure.

4.   How did you decide that you wanted to publish a collection of poems?
I used to keep writing poems and publishing them on Facebook and my blog. A lot of people would ask me why I haven’t published a book yet. I guess the pressure got to me.and the lazy person I am, I finally got around to compiling a collection of my poems and asking publishers if they would consider publishing it.

5.   Which among them is your favourite poem?
Tell Me Your Real Story – the title poem is one of my favourites. It’s about what I truly believe most of our urbane conversations lack – real-ness.

6.   What is the best compliment you have ever received?
I think the most heartfelt compliments are the ones that make me feel that my writing has made someone feel..I mean really feel! Once a woman told me “I wanted to get into your brain when I read that poem” and I thought that was incredibly flattering.

7.   Have you thought of joining with another author to write a book?
I really haven’t given it thought, but I have had several conversations about books and poetry with other writers. It’s all very exciting.

8.   How was your experience working with Leadstart Publishers?
Super awesome. They’ve been a guiding light through this entire book experience of Tell Me Your Real Story, right from agreeing to publishing it to proofing to editing to cover design to book launch activities. They’re the complete package and very organized about it. So if you’re a first-time novice writer who wants to be published, I’d advise you to approach them right away.




No comments:

Post a Comment