March 31, 2015

#Mychoice: Irrational!!!

“Today I choose life. Every morning when I wake up I can choose joy, happiness, negativity, pain... To feel the freedom that comes from being able to continue to make mistakes and choices - today I choose to feel life, not to deny my humanity but embrace it.
I could not help myself but write about the recent “My life, my choice” video by Deepika Padukone. This video has driven me up the wall. How could anybody call it “empowerment”, when all that can be understood from this video is about the sexual freedom that women have or should aim for? From the day this video has been released, I can see my Facebook wall overloaded with trolls on Deepika. I mean what was she trying to do here? Does she really think she can compete with Emma Watson? Or does she really think that the women of this nation need this kind of empowerment lecture?
I came across some of the most funniest but the most logical posters and probably they will make everybody think!
1.      When the Bihar’s ex CM made a statement saying, “There is nothing wrong in having an affair. It is a personal choice,” the public called him a pervert. But when Deepika said the same thing, “I’m a woman. It is my choice to have sex outside marriage,” which also means having a fling/ affair, the public is calling it as “women empowerment”! I fail to understand, how giving up morals, can be categorized as a step towards empowerment?

2.      “To love temporarily or lust forever, my choice.” Really? Love! How beautifully defined! Probably, the women of today, have become strong enough to face the music, for if their man decides to cheat on them, they cannot blame him. Because? Ofcourse! It’s their man’s choice. But does feminism give rights to cheat as well?


3.      “The bindi on my forehead, the rings on my fingers, adding your surname to mine, they are ornaments. They all can be replaced.” Perhaps, this will end the business of marriage counsellers. In a country, where every other mother teaches their daughter to make the house, Deepika teaches us, “It’s simple to break the house”.

4.      “Don’t be upset if I come home at 4:00 AM, don’t be fooled if I come home at 6:00 PM.” This is like opening doors to more problems. Where every other girl gets worried when her husband does not come home on time, Deepika’s logic is so irrational that it leaves me speechless.

Bright eyed and bushy tailed Deepika has, no doubt, acted so well in this video, but her approach towards feminism is not completely correct. There are bigger problems that concern women, say lack of education, dowry, physical abuse, domestic violence, etc. than lacking sexual empowerment. Just by adopting freedom of choice with respect to clothes, love, sex, money and marriage, change cannot be brought. But the saddest part is, people are falling for fake feminism. This is like making a botch of the problem. I wonder what will happen if every other criminal or rapist or terrorist start following Deepika’s version of empowerment and attempt at killing humanity because it is their choice!

#Don’tbeoffended #because #its #mychoice


No comments:

Post a Comment